Transformers

Today was spent working on a Transformer quilt.
Months ago, I found an autobot pattern that was designed by Susan Guinto.
The site offered a free download.

The pattern is suited to 2.5 inch strips and squares.
A few weeks ago, I purchased the fabric from Poppy Quilt ‘Sew Shop in Georgetown.
I painstakingly measured, counted, and recorded the number of black, gray, and white squares and strips that were needed.
Then…I misplaced my notebook!

So, today, I cut the three different fabrics in 2.5 inch strips, WOF.
The white fabric was cut LOF, since I needed a long enough top and bottom strip.
I decided to cut what is needed in small sections, and piece-as- I go.
This P-A-I-G method is so much easier than when I made a Darth Vadar quilt for my son.
On the Darth Vadar quilt, I cut all the pieces. It was difficult for me to keep track of what I needed, when I needed it.
The Darth Vadar quilt was also out of 2.5 strips and blocks.

To make this quilt, I used a pattern from WSKanePatterns.

My goal today was to finish half of the autobot.
I reached that goal, except I found a mistake as I posted the picture.
It will be an easy fix to remove the out of sequence black block from the second to the last row.

Tools:
I used the Stripology ruler grid to cut the strips.
I am still doing something wrong at the onset, since I end up having to recut the bottom.
The strips are more accurate than when I cut with a 2.5 inch ruler.
I just have to study what I am doing incorrectly. It doesn’t happen all the time, just enough to be a nuisance.

I also purchased a magnetic quarter-inch guide.
It has improved the accuracy of the seams, but sometimes, before I get to remove the pins, the pins knock it out of line.
Still, I like using this rather than the painter’s tape I was using.

Oh, I found my notebook!

Birds

bbUse what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

In my past few visits to quilt stores, I have been looking at different quilt rulers.
The rulers I have purchased have certainly made a difference in my cutting.
I have not yet ordered more templates for the AcuQuilt, since I really do not know which set would be the best purchase for me at this time.
While at the Poppy Quilt and Sew in Georgetown, I once again considered a Stripology Grid Ruler.
My friend, Nancy, said she had one.
After reviewing tutorials on the Stripology Ruler, I decided to purchase one.
It arrived today.

So far, I still do not know if I like it.
The strips are more accurate, but I have difficulty using either one of my rotary cutters.
They both seem to jam on me at the start.
I will practice some more on this tomorrow.
If I get this to work, I will begin to cut the fabric for the Transformer quilt.

In the meantime, I have made two more blocks from Lucinda Ganderton.
I used one of the other bird fabrics that I purchased.

After making these two blocks, I am definitely going to make a quilt.
I have two other bird fabrics, plus all of my scraps.
It would probably be better to plan the whole quilt before starting to make one…but I have always worked by the seat of my pants. Well, maybe not better…but that is how I work.
So, I am designing as I make the blocks…the Design as You Go method!:)
I’ll keep on quilting, in my own way; and my sewing room will not be silent. bb

These are bird blocks I have so far.
Yesterdays blocks:
20170301_001342119_ios       20170301_021406851_ios

Today’s blocks:
20170302_000122580_ios         20170302_010119521_ios