Pineapples and Dr. Seuss

Thank you, Mary, for telling me about the Pineapple Pieces Project. This sewing it forward project will result in quilts being made and donated to the Brenners Children Hospital. All I had to do was have fun making 10.5 blocks and making pineapple appliques.
I had a roll of Dr. Seuss fabric strips that I thought would be perfect for the pineapple. I had a few choices of fabric for the stem. I ended up choosing a white polka dot on yellow fabric. Luckily, I had just enough Heat n’Bond Lite to make 14 of the 16 pineapples. I was not able to find any Heat n Bond on any online shops such as Hobby Lobby, Joanns, or Amazon. I used to get this at Wal Mart, but they no longer have a sewing section in my neighborhood Wal Mart. I had some irregular pieces of Steam-a-Seam lite that I managed to piece and use for the remaining pineapples and all 16 stems. I’ll have to keep an eye out for either of these products. I like to have it on hand.

Kraft Tex

One of the things I love about blogging is getting to meet people who share ideas, and promote creativity. Mary, of Zippy Quilts, has a few posts on using Kraft Tex. After reading her posts and seeing the products she made with Kraft Tex, I was quite interested. Then, she graciously invited and encouraged me to give it a try.  My time in the sewing room has been unpredictable lately, but I managed to have some time to try out the Kraft Tex.
I realize that there is SO much that can be done using this fabric paper. I only touched the surface. I viewed many tutorials on the product. I decided to start with something simple, like a journal cover.
For the year 2019, I made two quilt blocks for each month. The blocks represent special people, places and events. I practiced and tried many different techniques in making the blocks. I also used blocks and pieces in my “What-Do-I Do-With This?” bin. I turned these blocks into signatures and ended up needing a spine that was 2.5″-3″.
Here is a brief summary of the process:
1. Cut the cover from Kraft Tex (Front 9″ + Back 9″+ Spine 2.5″ +Flap 2.5″) 23″ X 9″
2. Cut the lining from light cotton fabric at 23″X9″
3. Fold and crease the Kraft Tex to form the front, back, binding and flap.
4. Cut light fusible about 1/4 inch shorter than length and width of lining and fuse onto lining.
5. Sew lining and cover, wrong sides together, using a zigzag stitch.
6. I chose to use my AccuQuilt Go! to cut appliques from Kraft Tex. My plan was to glue them on, but apparently, I did not choose the right glue. I ended up having to sew the applique on, and I am not quite happy with the result. I know it can be done, but I need more practice.
7. Hand-sew signatures onto the spine.
8. Fasten flap to front cover using velcro circles.

I also had time to make a small lined, zipper pouch to help organize my purse. I followed the simple tutorial by Gourmet QuilterShe gives examples of different ways to make this pouch. My original plan was to Gelli-print and paint the Kraft Tex, but my time was limited. I needed the pouch right away. It was made in 30 minutes, and there are a few oopsies in it. This pouch is so handy for carrying and organizing the small essentials in my purse. The Kraft Tex is so durable. It has received many compliments whenever I take it out.

My plan is to play and discover more ways to utilize Kraft Tex. Thank you, Mary, for sharing this product.

Sewing Tote Bag

The other day, I read a post on Zippy Quilts. Mary posted a bag she made using a Kraft-Tex base. She provided the bag tutorial link from Bijou Lovely. I liked the bag pattern, and the bird fabric Mary used was beautiful. I also liked the Alexander Henry fabric, Sewing Woes. The fabric reminded me of the romance comics that my older sister used to read…and hide from me.
I decided to make the bag a bit larger than the pattern, mainly because I wanted to showcase more of the fabric. This size will also come in handy for carrying my stuff whenever I attend craft days with my friends. I added pockets to the inside lining.
I wanted the bag to stand on its own, so I used Bosal one-sided fusible foam. I have enough scraps to make other small projects.


Pockets

Learning Something New

 

Thanks to Mary J. Puckett from Zippy Quilts, I learned about fabric postcards.
The fabric postcards she posted are so pretty.
I decided to research some more information about fabric postcards DIY.
This morning, I made a patriotic fabric postcard.
It is very basic, but I wanted to keep it simple on my first attempt.
I happened to have the necessary supplies and fabric remnants.
It was so much fun…I plan to make more!
Thank you, Mary!