Floral Pets~Day 4

After making my first three quilts back in 2014, I thought I was ready to step up my game with a more difficult type of block. I chose a quilt pattern with flying geese…big mistake. After flubbering through three blocks, I threw the blocks and fabric in a UFO bin, where portions of it still reside today. I started using the fabric for other quilts, and I promised myself never to make Flying Geese again.
I now, no longer shy away from Flying Geese. I studied different tutorials and learned how to use the No-Waste method.
I thought the Floral Pets quilt could use two columns of Flying Geese, so I brushed up with more tutorials. Since I am making the block with scraps, I had to make sure I had enough of certain colors to repeat a pattern. I made a few FG blocks just to see how they would look with the pet blocks that I already framed with two borders. As I made the FG blocks, one at a time, I realized that I would not use the No-Waste method… and still not waste the triangles that are trimmed. I started making 11/2 inch blocks with the triangles. There are different possibilities for using these HST in other projects…or maybe not.
Anyway, it was fun making them along with the Flying Geese.

These small HST blocks could make interesting border strips or large squares.

I still have 21 more FG to make.
Taking a break for now.

Today’s Progress

Music was always playing in my classroom. We had special music for every occasion…morning greeting, thinking time, working time, end-of-day…just to name a few. Years ago, I attended an educator workshop that showed research showing that playing Mozart for math. I do not know if it was the placebo affect or if it was for real, but it worked. My students would ask for Mozart whenever they went to work on math problems, independently or in a group.
Well, today, I had Mozart playing for me. I was trying to figure out how to make a star block to fit the corners of the quilt border. The border itself was an odd size, so this made the star block difficult … for me, that is. Thanks to Mozart, I figured out what I needed to cut.


I need to sew the bottom border together, make three more star blocks, and then I can attach the borders and corner. All the pieces for the remaining star blocks are cut.

I could have gotten further on the quilt, but I decided to work on one of my other goals for the year.  I have never been a cook or a baker. My sons all became great cooks, out of necessity, I am sure. This Christmas, one of my daughter-in-laws made me a cookbook with some of her recipes. Phyllis and my son even gave me spices and basic supplies to start up my kitchen.
 
My daughter-in-law is a great cook and baker. With her support, and her cookbook, I have begun to make a few meals and breads.
Today, I took time out to make zucchini bread…from scratch! I feel like Betty Crocker.

It looks a little dark, but it is delicious.
Thanks, Phyllis!

Another Patchwork Heart Tote

After running out of the mini charms and not being able to make a second heart panel on my previous patchwork tote, I decided to fool around with trying to piece heart blocks in different ways.
I had enough remnants of black and white fabric, and white print fabric, so I decided to  use this color scheme.
Graphing paper came in handy as I tried different methods.

I had made half square triangles before, so I decided to try using two to form the bottom of the heart.

20160703_145000313_iOS  20160703_145008848_iOS

I had also used the flying geese quilt method before, so I thought of using that for the top.
Instead, I just cut two 1.5 inch squares for each corner of a 4..5 inch square.
20160703_151423512_iOS

20160703_152310311_iOS
I couldn’t decide if I wanted to add color or not, so again, I consulted with my sisters.
20160703_173901013_iOS
We decided on a black frame.

I thought a border with a design would enhance the black frame, so I found some remnants of a black and white print.
I did not have enough of this, so I did go purchase just what I needed.
While at the store, I found some black and white buttons.

20160703_201702141_iOS

20160704_010631747_iOS  20160704_010657727_iOS
I had enough black and white polka dot fabric  from a previous tote to use for the lining.
I used the left over fabric from the hearts to make three pockets.
20160704_010907247_iOS
I added a button in the middle of the heart.
I stitched in the ditch.
I had enough black fabric to make two handles that are each 22 inches long.

20160704_010807986_iOS   20160704_010830508_iOS
The tote is 20 inch x 20 inch.

July is a happy, busy month of birthdays for my family, so I plan to take a few days off.