So, I am already into March on spending my fabric budget. I was never good with budgets.
But I found some beautiful elephant fabric. I collect anything elephant. I also inherited my mom’s collection of elephants. I do not have a plan for this fabric yet, but I bought it and will let the ideas come later.

The clay elephant I made two weeks ago, survived the kiln, so I will be glazing it next week.

In pottery class this morning, I made a fat cat and a bird bowl. The bird looks more like an elephant right now. My instructor told me we may be able to add feathers on the head. In the photo, the bird is drying with his legs up. (It looks like he is dying…not drying.) I also had to repair the bunny I made last week. I did not attach one of the feet securely enough, so I had to do some bunny surgery.

Everyone else in class is making some beautiful, artistic bowls. I think I need to sign up for a second class and maybe I can move on from these animal bowls and sculptures.
My trip to Las Colchas was productive. In my project process, I noted that I would consult with my friend, Francine, who owns the quilt shop. She makes beautiful quilts and other things. I showed her my three ideas for finishing this quilt. She gave me some tips that helped me make my choice of the three. I also purchased three fat quarters to finish framing the cats. One of the cats is framed with a “fish” Kaffe Fassett fabric…a hidden quilt treasure.

My friend, Christine, suggested I frame the pet blocks in white polka-dot fabric that would bring the blocks together. Sandy, at Graybarn Designs agreed with Christine. It just so happened that I had white with black polk-dot fabric in my stash. So I will work on framing the blocks tomorrow. Thanks to Christine and Sandy!

Tuesday

I am still waiting for the Bali Bowl pattern to arrive, so in the meantime, I practiced some more thread sketching.
Yesterday, I started out with this blue bird.

I used Tulip fabric markers and  Pentel fabric crayons.

This bird is sort of a repeat of my mascot, Joy. I made it as a gift for one of my sisters.
Then, I decided to try the free Valentine mug rug pattern by Cindy, at Gray Barn Desgins.
I had some scraps that worked perfectly for this cute pattern.
All blocks are pieced and ready to quilt.
This was a fun and easy pattern. Thanks!


I also fooled around a bit with improvising a block from scraps. Those floral pieces are pretty tiny, but I like the way they came out. I do not like the big pink in the center, so I will probably be cutting and piecing some more.

Tomorrow is a busy day, so I probably won’t get any sewing time.
The pattern should arrive tomorrow.