Rope vs. Batting

It has been over a year since I made a fabric bowl using clothesline rope. There was just enough fabric strips left from the coffee bar slice rug I made the other day.

There was some leftover rope in my craft bins, so I decided to make a medium size bowl. I have done two types of rope bowls. One technique is wrapping the fabric around the rope and then sewing directly on the clothesline. The other technique involves folding the fabric wrong sides together and in half. Then, the fabric is folded with each raw edge to the middle. The rope is placed in the center. Then the right side of the fabric is folded up and over the rope; followed by folding the left side up and over the fabric.
After struggling with folding the fabric today, I realized that I prefer the wrapping technique rather than the folding technique.

There were also leftover strips from the Justice League rug that I made my grandson. I had some of the pre-cut batting leftover. Since I did not want to hassle with the rope again, I made a bowl using the batting. I do so much prefer using batting. It lays flat, and it is easier to catch both sides of the fabric.

There is still plenty of rope left in my craft bin. If and when I make another rope bowl, I will use scraps from my stash to wrap around the rope. This way, there will be no wasted fabric or rope. And, it will be easier than using the folded fabric method.

Studio Closed

This morning, I went shopping for the last minute things I needed for our trip to Lake Buchanan for the Vanishing River Cruise.
My Meemaw friends and I leave tomorrow.
As I mentioned in a previous post, the forecast for the rest of the week is thunderstorms.
Our hopes for seeing eagles on this cruise are diminishing, but not totally gone.
Oh, well, we heard about the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls, Texas.
It has 16 flavors of pie. (Check out the cafe link and you will see the Texas-sized pies.)
We have not been to this cafe yet.
The cafe has a Pie Happy Hour.
As my friend said, “When it rains, let them eat pie”.
So, the trip will be worth while…eagles or no eagles.
As I was shopping, I saw many St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, and Spring items on display.
I started thinking of what I could make.
Then, I saw this package of colorful 2.5 inch strips.
I decided to go home and make a rainbow fabric rope bowl.
The package had 14 strips that were each 42 inches long; and 2.5 inches wide.
I made the base of the bowl about 5.5 inches wide.
I wanted to make a deeper bowl.

This bowl makes me smile.

Bottom
I want to buy some variegated thread before I make a second rainbow bowl.

I thought I could fill it with these lucky shamrock coins to celebrate the Irish side of the family.
Maybe, I can paint some shamrocks on stones.
Then, for Easter, this basket can be filled with eggs and springtime goodies.
Tierney, thanks again for introducing me to fabric rope bowls.
I am having so much fun making these bowls.
I also decided to try and thread sketch an eagle.
I will complete this hexagon block when I return. It will be this week’s entry in my fabric journal.

I viewed and studied different pictures of eagles.
Then, I very lightly drew the outside outline with a fabric pencil.
I decided to thread sketch in black thread and color with fabric crayons and markers.
I do not have enough pretty blue fabric to use for the backing, so I will purchase some when I return.
The studio is now officially closed for the week.
I will be taking hand crafts and paints for what we are now calling our Craft Retreat.
There is no room in my friend’s car to lug around a sewing machine.
Besides, we are still hoping that we get enough of a break in the weather to go on the cruise.

Fabric and Rope Bowl

About a year ago, I saw some fabric rope bowls/baskets, on Pinterest.
I placed the idea of this project on my Someday List.
Then, Tierney posted pictures and the process of making these bowls.
Later, she sent me a link for tutorials and for the Bali Bowl pattern.
This is what I love about blogs. I learn so much just by reading and connecting with other bloggers.
I had prepped the fabric and had a roll of strips all ready to sew.

Then yesterday, I started sewing the strips.
What a disaster!
I thought the hard part would be zig-zagging and forming the bowl; but sewing the strips gave me more trouble. I kept having gaps where I didn’t catch both the top and bottom.
This is what it looked like after one hour, when I dumped everything on the table and left.
I may have said a few choice words as I left the room.
Maybe more than a few.

I then returned and started to rip and redo the strip.
Patience is not one of my virtues, and I almost dumped the whole thing in a Forget This box, but I did not want to admit defeat.
So, I decided to start sewing another strip.
This time, I stopped and checked as I went.
I also used bigger stitches, which is recommended in the pattern. I had forgotten to change the stitch size for the first one.
This time, I was having more luck folding the right side down, and the left side on top, and holding it tightly.
I still had to fix mistakes, but at least this time, it was “fix-as-you-go”.
When it came to zig-zagging and making the coil, I experienced some co-ordination problems.
I found it difficult to hold the rope perpendicular AND make sure that the zig-zag was catching both sides. Once I got the swing of it, and once the sides starting getting larger, it was much easier.
The results are not the best, but I am happy that I did not give up.
This may be the one and only bowl I make…at least for now.

It is a bit wonky, but it is finished!



Thank you, Tierney.
Your support and encouragement got me to try something new and challenging.
Mary, you said you wanted to make one of these.
I am sure you will have no problem.