Botanical Gardens

This morning, I took a morning walk at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens. It is one of my favorite places to visit. I do not have a green thumb, so I need to go to the gardens to see beautiful flowers. The weather is still spring-like, with a lot of humidity. The summer heat has not hit yet.  Birds were every where. A Blue Jay posed for me ; and I captured a photo of a cardinal just before he took off.
I made a short video with the photos I took with my phone.

The color, design, and textures in the garden were inspirational. I think these flowers are named Brown-eyed Susan.

I used fabric paint and crayons on canvas for the background. Then I cut fabric to form the stems, leaves, and flowers. I thread sketched a bit to give it texture. Then I machine stitched a black outline.

Nadine

I thought I had finished for the day, and I started to clean up the mess on my work table. I had scraps everywhere. When I picked up a grey polka-dot- on- grey scrap, I got a visual of some fluffy, layered hair.
Then I pulled out some white scraps and created a face to go along with this coiffure. More polka dots and Kaffe Fassett floral scraps, and voila! Nadine came to life. I sent a picture of Nadine to my sister, Emma. Of course, she immediately responded with a biography of Nadine.

Introducing: Nadine
Biography by Emma J. Virjan
Nadine
Bra-burner
Has three dogs
Loves Thich Nhat Hanh 
Makes Kick-ass cherry cobbler   
Zumbas on Wednesdays
Never turns down a glass of wine 
Bought Intel at a penny stock and is independently wealthy 

Texas Hill Country

Yesterday was a beautiful day to be out in the Texas Hill Country. Absolutely gorgeous landscape. I tried to capture it in this small quilt collage. I was delighted to find small scraps of floral fabric that I had bought in a bag of scraps from a thrift shop in Georgetown, Texas last year. Not only do I hoard scraps that remain from my projects, I also buy other people’s scraps. 😀

Fabric Collage

Today, I tried what I think one would call fabric collage. First, I ironed on medium interfacing to the back of some canvas. Then I laid strips of fabric on the canvas. After I tried a few arrangements, I settled on what I wanted and used a glue stick to help secure the pieces just a bit. I used a zig-zag stitch to secure the collage. The tree trunk was cut from the slashed block I made yesterday. I chose to hand stitch the trunk onto the block. I added some light batting under the cloud. The tree leaves were ironed onto some interfacing. I then sewed them with the zig-zag stitch. I then attached the leave section onto the block. The piece is not yet quilted. This is just another practice piece for me to learn how to make textured and dimensional blocks.

Summer Day

Note to self: Shape the strips or use smaller strips

Update

One of the fabrics I used for Gelli-plate printing is a 100% cotton, thin dish cloth.
It’s the one in the middle of the bottom row.

This piece started out a pretty turquoise and ended up a mess. I didn’t like the texture of the cloth…at first.
As I studied the piece, I thought the texture would make a good tree bark applique. I started cutting the tree shape; and then used small pieces to collage a tree. This is still a trial and error, work in progress.