Fabric Bowl-Take 3

Encouraged by my second attempt at making a fabric bowl; and by the support from all my blogging friends, I decided to make another fabric bowl.
I just couldn’t start on a new project when I had this mess of rope and fabric strips on my table.

This time around, the process went a bit smoother. I was aware of my previous mistakes and was able to avoid some of yesterday’s errors. I decided to play around with a different shape, so I made the center a bit smaller. This made the walls a bit taller. It is more of a bowl, than a basket.
My husband thought I made a hat.


It is still a bit wonky, but not as much as the first one.
I have some strips remaining, but they are in a nice round ball that I can store in a bin until I am ready to do this again.

Fabric and Rope Bowl

About a year ago, I saw some fabric rope bowls/baskets, on Pinterest.
I placed the idea of this project on my Someday List.
Then, Tierney posted pictures and the process of making these bowls.
Later, she sent me a link for tutorials and for the Bali Bowl pattern.
This is what I love about blogs. I learn so much just by reading and connecting with other bloggers.
I had prepped the fabric and had a roll of strips all ready to sew.

Then yesterday, I started sewing the strips.
What a disaster!
I thought the hard part would be zig-zagging and forming the bowl; but sewing the strips gave me more trouble. I kept having gaps where I didn’t catch both the top and bottom.
This is what it looked like after one hour, when I dumped everything on the table and left.
I may have said a few choice words as I left the room.
Maybe more than a few.

I then returned and started to rip and redo the strip.
Patience is not one of my virtues, and I almost dumped the whole thing in a Forget This box, but I did not want to admit defeat.
So, I decided to start sewing another strip.
This time, I stopped and checked as I went.
I also used bigger stitches, which is recommended in the pattern. I had forgotten to change the stitch size for the first one.
This time, I was having more luck folding the right side down, and the left side on top, and holding it tightly.
I still had to fix mistakes, but at least this time, it was “fix-as-you-go”.
When it came to zig-zagging and making the coil, I experienced some co-ordination problems.
I found it difficult to hold the rope perpendicular AND make sure that the zig-zag was catching both sides. Once I got the swing of it, and once the sides starting getting larger, it was much easier.
The results are not the best, but I am happy that I did not give up.
This may be the one and only bowl I make…at least for now.

It is a bit wonky, but it is finished!



Thank you, Tierney.
Your support and encouragement got me to try something new and challenging.
Mary, you said you wanted to make one of these.
I am sure you will have no problem.

Tuesday

I am still waiting for the Bali Bowl pattern to arrive, so in the meantime, I practiced some more thread sketching.
Yesterday, I started out with this blue bird.

I used Tulip fabric markers and  Pentel fabric crayons.

This bird is sort of a repeat of my mascot, Joy. I made it as a gift for one of my sisters.
Then, I decided to try the free Valentine mug rug pattern by Cindy, at Gray Barn Desgins.
I had some scraps that worked perfectly for this cute pattern.
All blocks are pieced and ready to quilt.
This was a fun and easy pattern. Thanks!


I also fooled around a bit with improvising a block from scraps. Those floral pieces are pretty tiny, but I like the way they came out. I do not like the big pink in the center, so I will probably be cutting and piecing some more.

Tomorrow is a busy day, so I probably won’t get any sewing time.
The pattern should arrive tomorrow.