What do you do with 100, 2.5″ x 3.5″, fabric art pieces? I had stored my 100 Day Project pieces in a box, then in a photo album. Thanks to Mariss, of Fabrication, I decided to make a fabric book. I was able to problem solve a way to collate my 100 Day project into a book after Mariss shared photos of one of her fabric journals.
To start the project, I made a page consisting of four of the art pieces. Some of the pieces were larger than the rest, so I had to make single pages. This left me with 29 pages that I would have to figure out how to bind. Initially, I was not going to make signatures, but I changed my mind. The pages were too bulky to just top-stitch together. I liked the patchwork look of the back of each page, so I did not make the signatures with pages back to back. I attached each page to a 1.5″ strip of muslin that had the quarter-inch sides folded down. The signatures were sewn onto a felt spine that measured 4.5″. I sewed a strip of felt onto each side of the felt spine. These strips were folded back and hand-sewn to give the spine structure after all the signatures had been sewn onto the spine. Then, I had to figure out how to make and attach a book cover. I have a bin of denim from an old pair of jeans. I cut the denim into three sections: front, back, and spine. I decorated the denim with a bird thread sketch that I made a few years ago. On the spine, I attached a strip of denim that I had embroidered. I have quite a few denim patches that I embroider and stitch as I watch television. I chose another stitched block that I had in a bin to use for the back. I thought I was going to have to hand-sew the cover onto the book, but I was able to use my machine. I used a zipper foot to help me sew along the edge of a very bulky situation. The covers were lined with a fabric remnant that I have had for a few years.
Signatures: After sewing two signatures together, I would add another set of signatures on top by sewing down the center line of the muslin strip.
Thanks, Mariss! You were a big help in getting this project completed.
My friend, Nancy, makes some beautiful fabric, floral pins. On one of our Wabi Sabi sewing days, my Meemaw friends and tried our hand at making floral pins.
Today, my sister, Emma, sent me a photo of a fabric brooch that had thread sketching and embroidery. I just had to give it a try.
Now, I am looking online to see what others have done with fabric brooches.
It has been a drizzly, lazy Saturday, so I have not started on any big project. I did complete another thread sketch for the #100 Day Project. I am not a selfie-type person, but I find it easy to thread sketch caricatures of myself. This way, I do not offend anyone.😉
Since I was not able to go for a walk today, I thread sketched a selfie of me taking a walk.
One of my goals is to learn how to thread sketch. At this time, I am “drawing” outlines with the thread as my pen. The #100 Day Project is a fun way to keep me practicing. I love making small things, so I chose to make these 2.5″ X 3.5″ fabric business cards. It is quite satisfying to see my stack of fabric cards grow.
Some of the cards will be hand stitched, and others will be thread sketched. I might start fabric painting some of them.
Today’s piece comes after a long day of making a rug, a lunch date, and going for a walk.
Growing stack of fabric cards
April is Poetry month. My message board has a quote by Muriel Rukeyser.
San Antonio has many beautiful parks that are sanctuary for many species of birds.
One of my Meemaw friends is a Master Naturalist, who is well versed in identifying birds.
We frequently go in search for particular birds that may be in the area during a particular season.
Phil Hardberger Park Conservancy is one of the parks we visit.
The conservancy provides a list of birds that can be found in the park.
One of the birds listed, is a yellow breasted chat. I have never been fortunate to see one in the park, so I decided to paint one on fabric.
I used pastels to paint the bird on a beige, linen memo.
Fabric markers were also used to highlight areas.
After thread sketching the block, I pieced a frame and border.
The block is a 9″ square after adding the pieces.
These blocks that I am making are for practice and trying new things.
I am making a list of areas that show improvement and those requiring more practice.
At the Texas Quilt Museum, I saw a binder that contained blocks made by various quilters.
I am thinking of making my own quilt block binder.
My goal for this 100 Day Project is to make a variety of quilt blocks.
With each block, I plan to try new things and practice old skills.
I am also in the process of designing a quilt using some of the ideas I got while visiting the Quilt Museum in La Grange. The different colored thread I ordered was delivered today. I have been acquiring fabric a bit at a time. Some of these 100 Day Project blocks may find their way into this quilt. I hope to be starting on this soon.
In the meantime, this is the block I made for today.
It is the selfie block I thread sketched a few days ago.
I added some wonky strips to go with my wonky self.
I used acrylic paint, water color, and some fabric crayon and pencil.
As of yet, I have no plan for this block.
It might become a small wall hanging.
Or, it might be included in a quilt.
I will have a box of blocks when I am finished with this 100 Day Project…hopefully, I will have learned and have shown improvement.
(Yes, my wardrobe is reflected in this piece!)
Today, I was also working on the hexagon block for my quilt journal.
I had such a wonderful day with my grandson, I just had to record it in my journal.
This hexagon will be finished tomorrow, after I buy some ladybug buttons!