Last week, my sewing machine got quite the workout. So, this week, I gave it a rest. My time was spent sketching things I might want to embroider. This led me to look at different embroidery tutorials online. What did we ever do before the internet? I appreciate all the artists who offer tutorials. People are so generous in sharing their art and skills.
My first embroidery project for the week was to make an autumn fabric inchie. I love the challenge of making something so small. I planned to make some more inchies, but then I got sidetracked. I ran across some tutorials on embroidering denim, jeans, and vest. Denim was my wardrobe of choice when I was teaching. Jeans were only “allowed” on spirit days and field trips; but this did not stop me from having denim jumpers, dresses, skirts, and vests. Since I NEVER throw anything out, except for the jeans that shrunk and no longer fit me :), I still had a couple of vests I wore back in the ’80’s. Let’s just say these are vintage items and move on.
Of course, I chose to embroider birds on the front of the vest. I embellished the top of the vest with a row of embroidered flowers and hearts. The top-back of the outer vest had a small rectangular outline from the leather Levi tag located on the inside. These layers of leather and denim made it difficult to embroider onto the area itself. So, I researched how to make your own embroidery applique. I had seen many beautiful samples of embroidery on tulle, and I put this on my “To-Learn” list. I finally found a tutorial by Cheslin. Cheslin made it look so easy. She embroiders beautiful appliques to add on to clothing. One of her tips is to use Modge Podge to seal the back of the embroidery. This worked perfectly on the birds, flowers, and hearts that I already embroidered onto the vest. I drew a dove and traced it on to a sheet of Sulky Solvy Water Soluble Stabilizer. This was placed over white tulle in an embroidery hoop. It was very tricky to embroider on the stabilizer and tulle. I think I might have used too large of a needle for this project. I was not happy with my embroidery stitches since they came out too large and loopy. However, I loved that I now had an applique that could be sewn over the back of the vest label. Instead of using the dove on tulle, I tried the same process of using the stabilizer. But this time, I backed the stabilizer with a heavy weight white muslin. The results were much more satisfactory, and it is now sewn onto my vest.
I love receiving photos of my grandchildren and their art. My grandson made a great drawing of Pigeon, one of my favorite characters by the author, Mo Willems. Then, my granddaughter and I had another Zoom session and she was telling me about the dragon book series she is reading. I told her that I had seen a rock painted like a dragon’s eye. She drew one for me on Zoom, and I told her I was going to try to paint one. I found an artist, Annamoon, who posts rock painting tutorials for beginners. I painted two dragon eyes, and tried my hand at painting a fall landscape. My landscape painting needs some work.
My rock supply is now depleted, so I will have to find some more on my morning walks.
All in all, it has been a good week for me.
I hope you also had a good week.