So far, this month, I have pieced two quilt tops. One, Quarantine Quilt, pattern by Mary J. Puckett, was so much fun to piece. The Zen numbers fabric caught my eye, and I just had to make this quilt. Like Mary, I believe in supporting our quilt shops; and I believe in her new policy, “Life is short, buy the fabric.” The scrap bin was over-flowing and just waiting to be used. My contact with the Studio Stitch was such a pleasant experience. I plan to order more fabric from them for future projects. I will post more about this Quarantine Quilt once it is returned from my quilter. I am looking forward to binding and using my quilt. Thanks, Mary, for your excellent pattern directions.
The second quilt top I made is for a very special teenager in my family. I had seen the Peace in Pieces pattern by J. Michelle Watts, many months ago. It was during the time that I was still shopping in person at the Mesquite Bean. This young man has a birthday in September, and I just knew this quilt would be perfect for him. It is a scrappy quilt, but the scraps in my bin were just not suitable for this project. I consulted with my friend at the Mesquite Bean, and she helped me choose 40 fabrics. I cut two, 2.5″ strips from each fabric and sewed them together into a 2,500″ roll of strips. Then, I followed the pattern directions for cutting the strips needed to form the peace sign. I don’t know why I thought this would be an easy-peasy quilt to put together! It is now with my quilter, and again, I cannot wait to see it completed.
My sisters and I had planned a social distance gathering, but we had to postpone it. I had embroidered some birds that I drew on some linen. I also made a flower out of an embroidered button. I turned these into mini-pillow dangles. Since I could not give them to my sisters in person, I mailed them.
For some time now, my friends have been wanting me to make a Meemaw wall hanging. Since I have been looking for things to do since the quilts were finished, I decided to start on this project. I have a light box that I wanted to try out. I asked the Meemaws to send me a selfie. I traced these onto some white muslin. The faces were embroidered with beige thread. I ended up not liking the beige outlining. Then I used fabric to collage for their hair. I was not happy with how the fabric made it look like they were wearing helmets. It gave a stiff impression. After making the three portraits, and not being happy with the results, I tried something different. When I made my portrait, I outlined in black embroidery. Then I embroidered the hair. This, in my opinion, was much better than using the fabric for the hair. Now, I do not know if I want to start all over with the other three portraits, or attempt to rip and redo the hair. This project has been shelved for the moment. If I do start over, I am going to ask two of my friends to take a “smiling” selfie! I think it was a bit unfair of me to use a pre-Covid portrait of myself. The portrait I used was taken by my hair stylist, the last time I saw him in March! There is no way I could capture what my hair looks like at this day and time without resulting in something rather scary.
Recently, I have been studying tutorials on how to crochet with t-shirt yarn. Years ago, I crocheted many afghans and other projects. I had to stop because I developed carpel tunnel syndrome in my right hand. I have since crocheted small projects such as rock socks :), using embroidery thread. It seemed my hand survived this bit of crocheting motion. I want to give it another try. I thought using a larger hook and t-shirt yarn might be fun.
I hope you are all doing well.